Investigating ‘Male Infertility’- Its Cause, Symptoms & Treatment
In a laymen’s term, infertility is the incapability to conceive a baby even after indulging in unprotected intercourse for a period of one year. In spite of the general notion of infertility being related to females only, there are almost 30% males who are infertile. Out of these, only a small percentage of males opt for the treatment. Embarrassment associated with the issue and apprehensions regarding the entire procedure restricts men to come out and start the treatment from the best gynaecologists in Delhi.
Early Detection & Diagnosis
In order to initiate the process of treatment, early detection and diagnosis is of utmost importance. Important factors like quality and quantity of the sperm ejaculated affects fertility in males. In case the sperm count is low and the quality of the sperm is poor, it is very difficult to cause a pregnancy. Hence, gynaecologists advise patients to undergo medical tests to find out the actual cause of the issue so that remedial actions can be taken immediately. Generally, a urologist conduct semen analysis to detect problems such as Azoospermia (sperms are not produced), Oligospermia (only a few sperms are produced), issues with sperm motility (movement of sperm), sperm morphology (form & structure of sperm). After the analysis, further test can be recommended depending upon the condition.
Causes of Male Infertility
There are various causes of male infertility, while some are general, others may drastically affect the fertility in males. Drug abuse, alcohol, smoking, environment factors like toxins and pesticides and health problems like diabetes, kidney disease etc. can cause male infertility.
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs) like Chlamydia and Gonorrhea can cause infertility in males.
- Birth defects like blockage in the testicles, trauma to the prostate or urethra, genetic diseases like cystic fibrosis are other complex issues that can affect the male fertility drastically.
- Other common problems related to male infertility includes sexual problems like erectile dysfunction, failure of ejaculation, prostate surgery, spinal cord injury and medications.
- Varicose veins in the scrotum can restrict the flow of blood in the organ.
- Hormonal problems, sperm antibodies are other factors that affect fertility.
Sunrise Hospital has the best team of gynaecologist in Delhi who counsel the patients and guide them on the issues and common causes of male infertility so that patients can clear their doubts and follow medical treatment as advised by them.
Symptoms of Male Infertility
There are no specific symptoms of infertility in males. However, a close check on the problems with sexual functions like ejaculation, erectile dysfunction etc. can warn you regarding the issue. Other symptoms include-
- Pain or lump in the testicle region
- Gynecomastia- abnormal breast growth
- Low sex drive or problem during sexual intercourse
Depending upon the cause of infertility, the urologist and gynaecologist suggest treatments. These include surgeries to remove the blockages, deformation or other abnormalities in the organs, and medication to control hormonal imbalance. In case of failure of all these solutions, Assisted Reproductive Techniques (ART’s) such as IVF (In-vitro fertilization), IUI (Intrauterine insemination), ISCI (Intracytoplasmic sperm injection) can be used to conceive a baby.