There are a lot of women who have irregular periods, but they do not get it checked, because they think it’s not a big deal. There are a lot of conditions because of which you might have irregular periods, some reasons are common, while others might be a symptom of a serious problem.
Here are some reasons why you might have irregular periods
- Sudden and excessive weight change– Obesity and low body weight, both are very common cause of menstrual problems.
- Exercise– Women who do excessive exercise, like athletes often face the problem of irregular periods.
- Eating Disorders- Any sort of eating disorder, like anorexia or bulimia, can lead to irregular menstruation cycle.
- Medication – Strong medication also causes irregular periods. Birth control pills are one such example. They can lead to frequent, skipped or no periods as well.
- Hormonal problems– The hormonal imbalance can lead to irregular periods, and also has prominent effects on your body. Hormonal changes causes changes in the hormonal levels that supports menstruation.
- Breastfeeding – After pregnancy, irregular periods continue to remain until the breast feeding is complete.
- Stress– Prolonged stress also affects the menstruation cycle adversely. This can either lead to frequent periods, or skipped/delayed periods.
Irrespective of what the reason is, you must get it checked on priority, as it might be a cause of something serious. Prolonged irregular periods can be because of PCOS, which affects 10 percent of women in their reproductive age. You might also be in a risk of thyroid, if you have irregular periods for a long period of time. Not paying attention to it can also ignore a serious health problem, which could have been avoided at an early stage.
At Sunrise Hospital, you can get the best treatment for any gynecology related issue. We do all the necessary tests and then make sure that the best treatment is provided.