Today, most women struggle with various health related issues that are common, however, if neglected, these issues can drastically affect the health. Endometriosis is one such common disorder that affects a huge number of women in their reproductive years. It is common amongst women dealing with the issue of infertility, however, this problem doesn’t necessarily cause infertility. Timely diagnosis and the right treatment can treat the problem effectively. Before moving further, it is important to understand what exactly is endometriosis.
What is Endometriosis?
Endometriosis is a condition in which the endometrial cells have an abnormal growth. As a result, they start developing outside the uterine cavity anywhere in the abdominal area e.g. naval or lungs. In severe stages, these tissues may develop superficially in small patches named implants or may develop into thick, penetrating nodules and form a cyst in the ovaries. These cysts can become cancerous and aggravate the problem further. Every month endometrial tissues got shed off through menstruation but those that develop outside the uterus creates a problem when develop abnormally. Specialist hospital and doctors in Delhi, India, treat various cases of endometriosis efficiently. Depending upon the problem, one can consult a gynecologist and get the right treatment at the right time.
Stages of Endometriosis
Depending upon the location, extent and depth of the cells in addition to the size and presence of the endometrial implants in the ovaries, the stages of the problem is defined. Generally, the condition has been classified into various stages i.e.
• I-Minimal: Superficial implants with mild scarring
• II-Mild: Superficial implants with mild scarring, flat patches of endometrial cells
• III-Moderate: Cysts with prominent scarring. The size may be smaller than a pea or larger than a grapefruit.
• IV-Severe: Cysts with prominent scarring
The mild and minimal stages can be taken care of with general medication and precautions while the severe case may require medical intervention, sometimes surgery.
The main cause of endometriosis has not been identified. While some women may have isolated implants that do not grow other may develop web-like growth of tissues called adhesions all across the pelvis.
1. Retrograde menstruation: Various studies and researches have tried to find out the reasons and causes of this common problem but different studies have different outcomes. Some suggest that retrograde menstruation is a prime factor of endometriosis. This refers to the backward flow of the menstrual fluid back into the fallopian tube into the pelvis area. However, not all women with an issue of retrograde menstruation have endometriosis and hence, this cause was not considered solid enough.
2. Immune System: Changes in the immune system was also considered a possible factor for endometriosis. The studies say that in an attempt to clear the endometrial cells developed in the pelvic region, the immune system may lead to residual endometrial tissues.
3. Genetic Factors: Women with a history of endometriosis in the family are more likely to develop this problem.
Despite all these factors, it is still not possible to predict the exact reason of the problem. It may be any of the above mentioned factors or all of these working together. Consulting endometriosis specialist in Delhi is the best way to go about the issue. They are the best people who can diagnose and treat the issue.
Just like the causes, the symptoms are sometimes unclear and hidden. Here are a few pointers you should always keep a tab on.
• Menstrual Cramps: These are one of the most common symptoms of endometriosis. However, it is difficult to discriminate between a regular pain before the menstrual cycle or a pain due to endometriosis. Therefore, all the endometriosis specialist in India suggest going for routine check-ups.
• Pain during Intercourse: Since, the scar tissues are attached to the ovary, it may cause pain during intercourse due to a thrusting motion. The condition is called as ‘Dyspareunia’.
• Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: During endometriosis, vaginal bleeding at regular intervals is a sign of concern as most women might not experience abnormal bleeding.
• Infertility: Infertility can be a symptom in some cases, however, other factors like poor sperm count or ovarian reserves may be responsible for infertility.
Other symptoms may include lower abdominal pain, diarrhea or constipation, lower back pain, chronic fatigue, irregular or heavy menstruation, painful urination or blood in the urine.
Diagnosis and Treatment
After keeping a note on the initial signs and symptoms, one must consult endometriosis specialist in Delhi who will diagnose the issue thoroughly. Various test like Pelvic exam, laparoscopy, and other diagnostic procedures like ultrasound, CT scan, and blood tests are conducted to know the actual problem. Depending on the stage and complexity of the problem, medications are suggested. In complicated cases, surgery may be a vital option.
Treatment of Endometriosis
1. Hormonal Medication: This is effective in the case of mild and moderate cases. Medication can control the problem right at the initial stages. However, you must consult a gynecologist and explain her the problem in detail so that she can figure out the severity of the issue and suggest the right hormonal medication. A strict no to self-medication as it may affect your system negatively.
2. Oral Contraceptive: Depending upon the stages, the endometriosis specialist in India may suggest proper ways to consume oral contraceptive pills. This will not harm your system and prevent the possibility of endometriosis effectively.
3. Danazol: This drug is responsible for creating high levels of androgen (male hormone) in the body. This is one of the most effective drugs for women. It not only offer relief but results in shrinkage of endometriosis. Some women may experience side effects such as weight gain, edema, breast shrinkage, headache, hot flushes, changes in the libido etc.
4. Aromatase Inhibitors: This is one of the most popular treatment these days. They inhibit the production of estrogen in the adipose tissues.
5. Surgery: This is the last resort in case all the above mentioned treatment fail to respond. Advanced stages of endometriosis require surgery for recovery. Laparoscopy is a great option.
Sunrise Hospital is a pioneer in handling complicated cases related to endometriosis. With a team of best endometriosis specialist in Delhi, the hospital is an ideal place to get treatment for this problem.